Installing A Concrete Driveway
Preparing the Area
- A uniform sub-grade must be provided and well compacted.
- The form is staked in place to provide a minimum 2% slope away from the building.
- Steel dowels, wire reinforcing and expansion joints must be installed.
The driveway is now ready for concrete
- Depending on the weight of the vehicles using the driveway, the concrete should be between 4″ to 6″ thick.
- Class C-2, 32 MPa, and have 5-8% Air entrainment. The pour is sometimes split in separate pieces to accommodate different colors and textures.
- The concrete is cured as soon as possible after it is poured and finished to prevent it from drying out.
- A Cure & Seal liquid is applied with a sprayer or roller to cure the concrete.
- As soon as the concrete is hard enough (typically the next day), it is saw-cut to prevent cracking.